Mala Ahuja Harker represents individuals and corporations in the financial services, pharmaceutical, and other industries in connection with white collar, securities, employment, and complex commercial litigation matters.
Prior to rejoining Friedman Kaplan, where she was formerly a partner, Ms. Harker served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey from 2011 through 2017. In this role, Ms. Harker investigated and prosecuted cases involving sophisticated financial frauds, insider trading, securities violations, mortgage and bank fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, public corruption, identity theft and cybercrime, as well as violent crime and drug offenses, among others.
Ms. Harker’s work for the U.S. Attorney’s office included a long term investigation involving corruption at the Newark Watershed Conservation & Development Corporation, which resulted in the conviction of several high ranking employees and outside contractors of the agency.
- Representation of the Chief Financial Officer of an international media company in connection with an internal investigation.
- Representation of an inter-dealer brokerage firm in a three week arbitration related to claims of unfair competition and raiding by rival firm.
- Representation of a hedge fund in a two week arbitration involving contract and tort claims against departing portfolio manager.
- Representation of a senior executive of a generic drug manufacturer in connection with a criminal investigation and related civil shareholder actions.
- Representation of 29 partners in a Brazilian investment bank in connection with the bank’s acquisition for $2.5 billion.
Prior to her time with the District of New Jersey and with Friedman Kaplan, Ms. Harker was an associate at Paul, Weiss, Rifkin, Wharton and Garrison LLP.
Ms. Harker is awaiting admission to the Bar of the State of New Jersey.
Outside the Office
Ms. Harker is a member of the Federal Bar Council, American Bar Association, the New York City Bar Association, and the South Asian Bar Association of New York.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D. (1999)
Washington University, St. Louis, B.A (1996)
State of New York
State of Virginia
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third and Ninth Circuits
Law Review and Publications
Winner of Best Brief, Edwin R. Keedy Cup Moot Court Competition