What information do we collect?
We do not collect any personal information about you unless you affirmatively provide it to us. For example, certain portions of our website, such as the e-mail links for our staff members and attorneys, allow you to provide certain personal information on a voluntary basis, including your name, e-mail address, company information, and other contact information. Your contact information, including your name, e-mail address, company information, and other contact information, may be added to email lists for our client alert emails and other resources when you voluntarily provide your contact information to one of our staff members or attorneys.
In addition, when you are visiting our website, Friedman Kaplan and third parties with whom we work (e.g., service providers, business partners) may place, view, and/or use “cookies” or similar technologies to collect certain information about your use of this website. This may include information about the IP address of your computer and mobile device, browser type, language, operating system, geo-location data, the state or country from which you accessed this website, the web pages visited, the date and the time of a visit, and the websites you visited immediately before visiting this website.
How will the information you provide be used?
We may use the information you provide us for a number of different purposes. Specifically, we may use the information to respond to any requests you have submitted. Likewise, we may use your contact information to send you Friedman Kaplan memoranda, announcements, news, invitations, updates on recent legal developments, or other information about Friedman Kaplan events and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
Other potential uses of this data include:
- To comply with the law or in response to a subpoena, court order, law enforcement or government request, or other legal process;
- To produce relevant documents or information in connection with litigation, arbitration, mediation, adjudication, government or internal investigation, or other legal or administrative proceedings;
- To protect the interests, rights, safety, or property of Friedman Kaplan, our clients, users of this website, or others;
- In connection with internal organizational matters;
- To combat fraud or other criminal activity;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- As otherwise required or permitted by law.
Any information collected by cookies will be done on an anonymous basis; Friedman Kaplan does not link any personal information you provide with cookie data.
How may we share the information we collect?
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
We rely on the following legal grounds to process your personal information, namely:
- Performance of a contract – To the extent you are a client of Friedman Kaplan or wish to become one, we may need to collect and use your personal information to perform the services for which you have contracted with us. For example, we may use your personal information to respond to requests you make via our website and provide you with such services.
- Consent – Some of the personal information collected by Friedman Kaplan is provided by you voluntarily, for example when you sign up to join a mailing list or register for an event and is therefore collected and used with your permission. To withdraw your consent to such use, please contact Laura Parcells at email@example.com.
- Legitimate interests – We may use your personal information for our legitimate interests, such as to improve our products and services and the content on the Friedman Kaplan Digital Services. We may also use your contact information to keep you and others who have provided us with their contact information up-to-date on recent legal developments of interest. It you wish us to stop using your contact information in this manner, please contact Laura Parcells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is your data transferred to third countries and how is it protected?
We do not transfer the information we collect from and about you through this website, including your personal information, to countries other than the one in which you reside.
How do we secure your information?
We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use. This may include, when required or appropriate and feasible, obtaining written assurances from third parties that may access your data that they will protect the data with safeguards designed to provide a level of protection equivalent to that adopted by Friedman Kaplan.
However, no system of transmission or storage of data can be 100% secure. As such, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to us over networks that we do not control, including the Internet.
How long do we hold your information?
We retain the information we collect no longer than as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect the information and to comply with our legal obligations.
What are your rights?
If you no longer wish to receive communications from us – such as about events being promoted or hosted by Friedman Kaplan or insight from Friedman Kaplan attorneys on recent legal developments – you can let us know by contacting Laura Parcells at email@example.com.
If you are a resident of the European Union, you may have certain rights regarding information that we have collected and that is related to you. In particular, you may have the right to:
- Access and correct the personal information Friedman Kaplan has about you;
- Object to the processing of your personal information; or
- Request that your personal data be erased.
If you wish to exercise those rights, please contact Laura Parcells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Likewise, if you are a resident of the European Union, you have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority if you believe that your personal information has been collected or used in violation of relevant privacy requirements. You may file such complaint with the Data Protection Authority in the country in which you are located, or you may contact the Office of the Information Commissioner in the United Kingdom at www.ico.org.uk, by telephone on +44 (0)303 123 1113 or by writing to this address: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF United Kingdom.
Who is the data controller?
The data controllers for the Friedman Kaplan Digital Services are Friedman Kaplan Seiler & Adelman, 7 Times Square, New York, NY 10036, and Firmseek, 1667 K Street, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20006.