Representing individuals and companies in connection with venture capital/private equity investments is a fundamental part of our corporate department’s practice. Investments in this arena are particularly diverse, and we give our clients the individualized attention and tailored solutions that these transactions demand. We believe it is critical for our clients that we understand their unique needs – whether as an individual looking to make his or her first seed capital investment in a startup tech company or a seasoned institutional investor looking to make a pre-IPO investment – and remain deeply involved through the transaction. When you work with Friedman Kaplan, you know you will have reliable, responsive legal counsel to collaborate with at each state of the deal life cycle.
On the investor side, our venture capital/private equity practice extends beyond our clients’ investment activities. Clients take comfort in knowing that we are there to provide immediate, high-level, and sophisticated advice on non-investment-related matters – fiduciary duty questions, employment and compensation matters, thorny compliance issues – so that these issues don’t distract them from their investment activities.
We also leverage the understanding and experience we gain representing investors to provide invaluable advice to companies looking to raise venture capital/private equity money. Our deep industry knowledge allows us to anticipate the issues our clients might face as they raise capital and grow, and culturally, our firm is an excellent fit with our pre-IPO clients. A small firm staffed with elite lawyers, we are vigilant, efficient, smart, and tenacious. Our perspective, determination, and abilities help to ensure that, for our clients, today’s issues don’t get in the way of tomorrow’s opportunities.
- We represented a major private equity fund in connection with a substantial number of investments and exit transactions in the People’s Republic of China, and in connection with the IPO of one of the companies in which our client invested.
- We represented a wireless telecommunications service provider in international markets in its formation and in three equity investment rounds raising in excess of $330 million.
- We represented a major private equity fund in the restructuring of its $15 million Series D investment in a digital media and publishing company.
- We are representing a private equity fund in connection with a possible sale of its majority interest in a well-known specialty retailer.
- We represented a major credit card company in connection with its private equity investment into a data security software developer.
- We represented a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a cosmetics business.
- We represented the private equity arm of Lazard Frères & Co. as controlling shareholder of CAPS, a container and pallet business, in connection with the sale of the company to a strategic buyer.
- We represented a private equity fund in connection with a joint venture to construct low-cost housing in the Middle East.
- We represented a U.S. private equity fund in an investment in DataNet Communications, a U.S. telecommunications provider.
- We represented the management group of a company specializing in the repair and leasing of aircraft and aircraft parts in connection with the company’s debt and equity financing.
- We represented an India-based investment fund as local U.S. counsel in connection with a $20 million venture capital investment related to the restructuring of a U.S. technology company with an India-based subsidiary.
- We represented a private equity fund in connection with its investment in a Canadian oil and gas company.
- We represented the private equity arm of a leading financial advisory and asset management firm in connection with its private equity investment of a minority interest in an operator of radio stations.
- We represented a private equity fund in connection with the restructuring of a company in which the fund was invested.