Richard Hoffman's practice focuses on domestic and international transactions for companies in a wide variety of industries, including communications and other high-technology industries, particularly operators of international wireless communications systems, software companies, semiconductor companies, investment banking firms, and hedge funds. He advises on mergers and acquisitions and financing matters, including PIPE transactions, public and private offerings, and private equity transactions. He advises employers and employees on a variety of employment matters.
- Representation of numerous employees and employers, especially in the financial services and asset management industries, in connection with employment and separation agreements.
- Representation of a major telecommunications company in connection with its formation, infrastructure agreements, acquisitions, and project financing arrangements in Western and Eastern Europe, Africa, and Central and South America.
- Representation of a global financial services firm in connection with its acquisition of an asset management company and in the related negotiation of the firm’s employment contract with the company’s founder. We subsequently represented the firm in connection with the sale of the management company back to its founder.
- Representation of a major credit card processing company in connection with its private equity investments, including those related to a data security software developer. Through the investment, our client gained access to the developer’s software.
- Representation of the founder of a provider of computer control systems to large companies in connection with the sale of the company to a multibillion-dollar company in the electronics industry.
- Representation of the founder of a semiconductor equipment supplier in connection with the company’s formation, initial financing, hiring of key employees, and initial round of venture capital financing.
- Mr. Hoffman and the firm served as general outside counsel to a developer of software for legal sports wagering over the course of more than a decade. During this time, we handled public offerings, PIPE financings, acquisitions, employment issues, and other legal matters.
- Representation of a Germany-based manufacturer of high-end cosmetic design products in connection with the negotiation of a complex manufacturing, design, and commercial three party joint-venture arrangement.
- Representation of a major credit card processing company in connection with the negotiation of a contract with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Transit to install a prototype system for contactless bank cards that would be used for travel.
- Representation of a high-net-worth individual and founder of an investment management firm in connection with an investment in a developer of a virtual currency.
- Representation of a privately held financial services firm in connection with the contentious termination of employment of three senior executives.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Mr. Hoffman spent 12 years as Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary of General Instrument Corporation before it was acquired in a leveraged buyout and later served as Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Coltec Industries Inc. He was a partner at Friedman Kaplan for 15 years before becoming Senior Counsel.
Brooklyn Law School, J.D. (1967)
City College of the City University of New York, B.A. (1964)
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
U.S. Supreme Court
The Honorable George Rosling, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Law Review and Publications
Editor-in-Chief, Brooklyn Law Review