Stan Chiueh represents financial institutions, private equity and investment management funds, major public and private companies, and individuals in connection with complex civil litigation/arbitration and white-collar matters.
He has successfully navigated clients through a broad variety of disputes at both the trial and appellate levels, before federal courts, state courts, and various domestic and international arbitration tribunals, relating to restructurings, complex commercial contracts, leveraged buyouts, pension plan contribution obligations, corporate governance, and other similar issues, including numerous matters of first impression.
Additionally, he has advised clients on issues relating to alleged securities fraud and insider trading, both in connection with private litigation and investigations conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority, the New York Department of Financial Services, and several United States Attorney and district attorney offices.
- Representation of successor indenture trustee for $250 million of unsecured notes of Nine West Holdings, Inc. in connection with Nine West’s bankruptcy and potential claims arising out of the company's 2014 leveraged buyout and asset sales. Counsel on trial team in a contested bankruptcy confirmation hearing that led to a revised plan of reorganization that provided a greater recovery to noteholders and other unsecured creditors.
- Representation of the NWHI Litigation Trust that was established in the bankruptcy to pursue claims relating to the 2014 transaction, in which Nine West’s predecessor was purchased, certain of its businesses were sold off, and its shareholders received more than $1 billion for their shares.
- Representation of former officers and directors of a publicly-traded pharmaceutical products company in defending a putative securities class action in New York federal court alleging violations of Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act.
- Representation of a lender to a dialysis provider, DSI Renal, Inc., in defending an action in Delaware bankruptcy court brought by a Chapter 7 trustee alleging over $450 million in claims for fraudulent transfer and aiding and abetting breaches of fiduciary duty in connection with the recapitalization and sale of DSI Renal.
- Representation of a lender and preferred equity holder of a for-profit legal education provider in defending an action in New York state court alleging state-law intentional and constructive fraudulent conveyance claims.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan in March 2018, Mr. Chiueh practiced at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
Outside the Office
Mr. Chiueh is a member of Law360's Bankruptcy Editorial Advisory Board, the New York State Bar Association, and the Asian American Bar Association of New York. He enthusiastically serves as the lead attorney-coach and mentor for the Bronx High School of Science Moot Court and Mock Trial teams, which most recently completed an undefeated Mock Trial season and previously won the citywide Mentor Moot Court competition out of over 40 high school teams.
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 2008
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Law Review and Publications
Senior Online Editor, Harvard Law and Policy Review