Stan Chiueh represents and counsels financial institutions, private equity and investment management funds, major public and private companies, and individuals in connection with complex civil litigation and arbitration matters.
He has successfully navigated clients through a broad variety of disputes at both the trial and appellate levels, before federal courts, state courts, and various domestic and international arbitration tribunals, relating to complex commercial contracts, securities fraud, fiduciary duty, business torts, restructurings, leveraged buyouts, and other business disputes, including numerous matters of first impression. He also has experience advising clients in white collar and investigations matters.
- Representation of WeWork co-founder and former CEO and Chairman Adam Neumann and affiliated company We Holdings LLC in a Delaware Chancery Court action, which was consolidated with an action commenced by a Special Committee of WeWork’s Board of Directors, challenging the decision of WeWork’s majority institutional shareholder to terminate a multi-billion dollar tender offer.
- Representation of successor indenture trustee for $250 million of unsecured notes of Nine West Holdings, Inc. in connection with Nine West’s bankruptcy and potential claims arising out of the company's 2014 leveraged buyout and asset sales. Counsel on trial team in a contested bankruptcy confirmation hearing that led to a revised plan of reorganization that provided a greater recovery to noteholders and other unsecured creditors.
- Representation of the NWHI Litigation Trust that was established in the bankruptcy to pursue claims relating to the 2014 transaction, in which Nine West’s predecessor was purchased, certain of its businesses were sold off, and its shareholders received more than $1 billion for their shares.
- Representation of former officers and directors of a publicly-traded pharmaceutical products company in obtaining the dismissal of a putative securities class action in New York federal court alleging violations of Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act, and then prevailing on appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Representation of a lender to a dialysis provider, DSI Renal, Inc., in defending an action in Delaware bankruptcy court brought by a Chapter 7 trustee alleging over $450 million in claims for fraudulent transfer and aiding and abetting breaches of fiduciary duty in connection with the recapitalization and sale of DSI Renal.
- Representation of a media and technology company in numerous disputes with the company’s former lender and equity holder, including litigating breach of contract and related claims in Delaware Chancery Court as well as matters relating to a separate accounting arbitration dispute.
- Representation of a lender and preferred equity holder of a for-profit legal education provider in obtaining the dismissal of, and affirmance on appeal, of an action in New York state court alleging state-law intentional and constructive fraudulent conveyance claims.
- Representation of a coalition of education professors, researchers, and policy makers in filing an amicus brief before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in connection with a qualified immunity case from the Detroit public school system.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan in March 2018, Stan practiced at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
Outside the Office
Stan is a member of Law360's Bankruptcy Editorial Advisory Board, the New York State Bar Association, and the Asian American Bar Association of New York. He has enthusiastically volunteered, since 2015, as the lead attorney-coach for the Bronx High School of Science Moot Court and Mock Trial teams. Under his leadership, Bronx Science has both won the citywide Mentor Moot Court competition and completed an undefeated mock trial season.
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 2008
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Sixth Circuits
Honors and Awards
New York Rising Stars List, 2021, 2022
Law Review and Publications
Senior Online Editor, Harvard Law and Policy Review