Elizabeth Bierut represents clients in complex litigation and investigations, including actions arising under the securities laws, actions involving allegations of common law and securities fraud, commercial business disputes, internal investigations, and white collar matters involving the Department of Justice and New York State Department of Financial Services. She counsels public and private companies in the healthcare, financial services, real estate, retail, and other industries on diverse issues and claims, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, securities fraud, and antitrust. She has extensive experience with all stages of litigation, including motion practice, discovery, trial, and appeals, and regularly counsels clients pre-litigation concerning the strengths and weaknesses of claims and defenses, and the best tactical path forward.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Ms. Bierut was an associate at Ropes & Gray LLP, where she represented financial institutions and corporations in complex commercial litigation, including securities class actions, contract disputes, and bankruptcy matters and represented companies and individuals in investigations by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as in internal investigations.
- Defense of the former Chief Financial Officer of a liquidated sports equipment manufacturer in a putative Rule 10(b)(5) securities fraud class action arising out of the company’s alleged failure to disclose that it engaged in sales practices that impaired future earnings and forced it into bankruptcy.
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a multimillion dollar breach of contract action by a supplier.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in connection with an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey.
- Representation of a fintech company that provides banking and financing services to small businesses in defense of various bankruptcy claims brought against it as a creditor.
- Defense of an international law firm and its partner in defense of a multimillion dollar claim for legal malpractice.
Outside the Office
Ms. Bierut was selected as a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s 2022 class of Fellows, a program designed to identify, train, and advance the next generation of leaders in the legal profession. She is an adjunct professor at Fordham University School of Law, where she teaches legal writing. She is also a member of the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, the National Association of Women Lawyers, and the First Decade Committee of the Federal Bar Council, an organization dedicated to promoting excellence in federal practice and fellowship among federal practitioners in the Second Circuit.
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (2013)
Swarthmore College, B.A., with honors (2008)
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
The Honorable Shira A. Scheindlin, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Honors and Awards
Order of the Coif, Fordham University School of Law
Law Review and Publications
William Hughes Mulligan Competition Editor, Fordham Moot Court Board