Michael Palmieri represents major public and private companies as well as individuals in the financial services, healthcare, and other industries in connection with complex commercial litigations. His practice has particular emphasis on internal and government investigations and the representation of foreign litigants in U.S. discovery proceedings.
- Representation of an investor in connection with a long-term SEC investigation and trial pertaining to alleged insider trading and 13D violations. The case was appealed to the Third Circuit and the Supreme Court.
- Served as counsel to a Special Litigation Committee of PNC Bank in connection with its investigation of shareholder derivative claims alleging that the company’s directors and officers made false and misleading financial disclosures and failed to maintain sufficient controls. The claims were dismissed based on the Special Committee's report and recommendation.
- Representation of the liquidators of a failed residential mortgage-backed securities fund in connection with litigation against the fund’s manager and directors alleging breach of fiduciary duty. Mr. Palmieri and the firm are seeking discovery in the U.S. from the fund’s financing counterparties under Section 1782 of Title 28 of the U.S. Code, which pertains to discovery in aid of a foreign proceeding.
- Representation of a major medical lab company as plaintiff in litigation in New Jersey state court against Blue Cross Blue Shield in connection with private insurance coverage. Mr. Palmieri and the firm have successfully defeated defendants’ motion to dismiss the claims.
- Participation in an internal investigation on behalf of the Audit Committee of a NYSE-listed consumer financial services company in connection with the Committee's review of the company's previously issued financial statements.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Mr. Palmieri practiced at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
New York University School of Law, J.D. (2009)
University of Cambridge, M.Phil., Criminology (2007)
Yale University, B.A., cum laude (2005)
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
The Honorable Brian M. Cogan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Honors and Awards
2005 Thatcher Memorial Prize