John Orsini advises and represents major public companies, private firms, and high-ranking executives in the financial services and technology industries as plaintiffs and defendants in complex business and financial disputes in federal and state courts and before FINRA and other arbitration bodies. He has examined and cross-examined numerous witnesses at trial and in arbitration hearings. His matters involve diverse issues and claims, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities fraud. He has represented a number of companies and individuals in connection with the movement among firms of high-producing financial advisors and brokers, professional liability, and employment litigation and arbitration.
- Serving as trial counsel in a five-month jury trial, one of the longest in the court’s history, in New Jersey state court defending a prominent financial services company against billion-dollar claims of civil racketeering and unfair competition. The court dismissed plaintiff's civil racketeering claims after the close of evidence and the case settled favorably while the jury was deliberating.
- Acting as trial counsel for one of the world's most prominent inter-dealer brokerage firms in eight consolidated FINRA arbitrations, defending against claims of "raiding," unfair competition, breach of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other business torts. The merits hearings spanned over a year and a half, during which more than 70 witnesses were called to testify. The panel ultimately awarded plaintiffs a fraction of the damages they sought, and awarded significant damages to the employees hired by the client.
- Defending senior public company executives against class action claims of securities fraud and control person liability.
- Asserting claims to recover unpaid compensation and severance in a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a former top ranking executive at one of the largest Wall Street investment banks.
- Representing the domestic broker-dealer of operations of a global investment bank in contract & other commercial disputes.
- Bringing securities fraud and negligence claims on behalf of hedge funds to recover $116 million in losses from Madoff feeder funds' management and their accountants.
- Representing and counseling a leading provider of enterprise database hosting environments in contract and employment disputes.
- Representing a leading independent investment bank in a fee dispute with its client.
Outside the Office
Mr. Orsini is a member of the New York City Bar Association's In-House/Outside Litigation Counsel Group.
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude (2002)
Harvard College, A.B., magna cum laude (1998)
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits
The Honorable Maryanne Trump Barry, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Honors and Awards
New York Super Lawyers List, 2013-2015
Law Review and Publications
Senior Editor, Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review