Jake Lewis's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including corporate contractual disputes, fraudulent conveyance actions, and employment-related claims. He represents a diverse range of clients in the financial services, media, healthcare, energy, and hospitality industries, among others, in state and federal courts as well as in arbitral tribunals.
- Representation of one of the largest global asset managers and its affiliates and subsidiaries in over a dozen federal and state cases, as plaintiff and defendant, involving life settlement investments.
- Representation of a lender and preferred equity holder of a for-profit legal education provider in obtaining the dismissal, and affirmance on appeal, of an action in New York state court alleging state-law intentional and constructive fraudulent conveyance claims.
- Representation of a major NYC-based operator of award-winning restaurants in New York and elsewhere in disputes with a landlord, including those arising from COVID-19 related closures.
- Representation of the principals of a real estate investment firm in a breach of contract action asserting claims against a large hedge fund relating to the parties’ agreement to release each other from legal claims relating to potential transactions with another party.
- Representation of a leading energy marketer in obtaining judgment against a former client in a breach of contract action.
- Representation of a COVID-19 testing provider in multiple breach of contract actions against former clients.
- Representation of a major commercial mortgage lender in multiple breach of contract actions against former prospective borrowers.
- Pro bono representation of clients in various matters and fields, including civil rights cases under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Innocence Project referrals for non-violent drug convictions, asylum applications, Housing Court proceedings on behalf of unrepresented tenants, and organizations supporting survivors of sexual assault.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Jake was an associate at Paul Hastings, LLP, where he focused on commercial disputes and government investigations.
Outside the Office
Jake serves on the Board of Directors of the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Volunteers for Ukraine, which provides direct humanitarian aid to victims of the 2022 war in Ukraine. He has also helped coach New York-area high school Mock Trial teams and has served as a judge for high school Mock Trial competitions.
Columbia Law School, J.D. (2017)
University of Michigan, B.A., with distinction (2013)
State of New York
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Honors and Awards
New York Rising Stars List, 2021, 2022
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Best Oral Advocate, NEBLSA Moot Court Competition 2015
National Semifinalist, Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition 2015