Michael Gordon has a broad-based corporate practice with a special focus on pre-IPO companies. From the seed stage through late-round financings and acquisitions, Mr. Gordon advises both investors and the companies, boards of directors, special committees, executives, and founders themselves. He also helps public and private companies secure operating capital through credit facilities and debt offerings, and has structured numerous buyouts, recapitalizations, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. His clients span a wide variety of industries, including financial services, social and digital media, telecommunications, hospitality, and others.
Mr. Gordon also assists public and private companies as well as executives in connection with employment and compensation matters and partnership and contractual disputes.
- Representation of a hedge fund in its $70 million Series I investment in an information processing platform company.
- Representation of a private equity fund in the restructuring of its $15 million Series D investment in a digital media and publishing company.
- Representation of an e-book retailer in its $10 million Series C financing round.
- Representation of the Special Litigation Committee of Aetna in connection with its merger with Humana.
- Representation of the founder of an electronic foreign exchange trading platform in the company’s formation and $7 million Series A financing.
- Representation of a bankruptcy administration company in its $2 million seed financing round.
- Representation of Trilogy International Partners in its negotiation of a $250 million credit facility, and subsequently in connection with a high-yield offering of $370 million of senior debt notes.
- Representation of the Special Committee of the Board of Atlas Pipeline Partners, L.P. in connection with the evaluation and negotiation of Atlas’s approximately $400 million asset sale to Atlas Energy, L.P., the corporation that controlled the general partner of Atlas Pipeline. Mr. Gordon and the firm’s work included advice related to the fiduciary duties of the Committee, identification of the appropriate level of Committee involvement in the transaction evaluation and negotiation process, and negotiation of principal transaction documentation with the purchaser.
- Representation of Trilogy International Partners in its acquisitions of wireless communications operations in the Dominican Republic and New Zealand.
- Representation of a private-equity firm (affiliated with a major hedge fund) in connection with its $80 million acquisition of a 49% interest in a Chinese real estate development company.
- Representation of the founder of a prominent currency-focused hedge fund in connection with the restructuring of his obligations with the hedge fund's bankruptcy estate and the estate's largest creditor.
- Representation of the co-founder of a boutique interior design firm in the negotiation of his separation from the other co-founder and the division of the firm's assets.
- Representation of a chief executive officer and chairman of the board of a public company in connection with his negotiations to serve simultaneously as executive chairman of a second public company.
- Representation of employees of prominent hedge funds and private equity funds and other major companies in the negotiation of their separation agreements and severance arrangements.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Mr. Gordon practiced at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP.
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (2004)
Dartmouth College, B.A., cum laude (1996)
State of New York
Honors and Awards
New York Rising Stars List, 2015
Law Review and Publications
Staff Member, Fordham Law Review