Michael Gordon is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department, and a member of the firm's Management Committee. As part of his broad-based practice, Mr. Gordon advises both investors and companies, their boards of directors, special committees, executives, and founders in a range of transactions, representative examples of which are set forth below. His clients span a wide variety of industries, including financial services, health care, telecommunications, consumer products, hospitality, and others.
Mr. Gordon also assists public and private companies as well as executives in connection with employment and compensation matters and partnership and contractual disputes.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Representation of Trilogy International Partners, a publicly-traded telecommunications company, in a $875 million business combination with Alignvest Acquisition Corporation, a special purpose acquisition corporation (SPAC).
- Representation of PAVmed, a publicly-traded multi-device health care company, in its acquisition of an exclusive license to develop and commercialize Esocheck, a new diagnostic technology.
- Representation of the Special Committee of the Board of Atlas Pipeline Partners, L.P. in connection with the evaluation and negotiation of Atlas’s approximately $400 million asset sale to Atlas Energy, L.P., the corporation that controlled the general partner of Atlas Pipeline.
- Representation of Trilogy International Partners in its negotiation of a $250 million credit facility, and subsequently in connection with a high-yield offering of $370 million of senior debt notes.
- Representation of PAVmed in multiple secured debt private placements.
Private Equity Investments
- Representation of a private-equity firm (affiliated with a major hedge fund) in connection with its $80 million acquisition of a 49% interest in a Chinese real estate development company.
- Representation of the chief executive officer of a consumer products company in a series of change of control transactions with multiple private equity firms.
- Representation of family offices and high net worth individuals in a range of private equity investments.
Business Formation and Divorces
- Representation of FlightSafety International Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway company, in its formation of a joint venture with TRU Simulation + Training Inc., a Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT) company.
- Representation of a bankruptcy administration company in its $2 million seed financing round.
- Representation of the co-founders of a law school test preparation company in the formation of such entity.
- Representation of the co-founder of a boutique interior design firm in the negotiation of his separation from the other co-founder and the division of the firm's assets.
- Representation of employees of prominent hedge funds and private equity funds and other major companies in the negotiation of their separation agreements and severance arrangements, including in the context of change of control transactions.
- Representation of a chief executive officer and chairman of the board of a public company in connection with his negotiations to serve simultaneously as executive chairman of a second public company.
Other Significant Representations
- Representation of the Special Litigation Committee of Aetna in connection with its proposed merger with Humana.
- Representation of the Special Litigation Committee of the Board of Directors of the H.J. Heinz Company in the investigation and evaluation of shareholder demand letters and derivative actions filed in connection with the Board’s approval of Heinz’s $28 billion merger transaction with Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and 3G Capital Partners Ltd.
Prior to joining Friedman Kaplan, Mr. Gordon practiced at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP.
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (2004)
Dartmouth College, B.A., cum laude (1996)
State of New York
Honors and Awards
New York Rising Stars List, 2015
Law Review and Publications
Staff Member, Fordham Law Review
News + Insights
- Friedman Kaplan Client FlightSafety International Forms Joint Venture with a Textron Inc. Company to Provide Flight Training Services
- Friedman Kaplan Client PAVmed and Case Western Reserve University Finalize Licensing Agreement for EsoCheck Technology
- Friedman Kaplan Represents Trilogy International Partners LLC in its Proposed $875 Million Business Combination with Alignvest Acquisition Corporation