Gary Friedman has a broad-based transactional, commercial, and counseling practice. He represents companies in acquisition, financing, and commercial transactions; hedge funds and private equity funds in investment transactions and other corporate matters; directors, committee members, and general partners in connection with governance and fiduciary duty matters; and executives, high net-worth individuals, and family offices in employment, investment, and other commercial and counseling matters.
- Representation of a major private equity fund in connection with a substantial number of investments and exit transactions in the People’s Republic of China, including an IPO of one of the fund's portfolio companies.
- Representation of a charitable trust as the sole shareholder of an aircraft parts manufacturing company in the sale of the company to a larger publicly-owned corporation for a purchase price in excess of $250 million.
- Representation of a U.S.-based hedge fund in connection with the fund’s acquisition of substantial minority ownership positions in various public and private companies in foreign jurisdictions, including in India and the Middle East.
- Representation of FlightSafety International Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway company, in its formation of a joint venture with TRU Simulation + Training Inc., a Textron Inc. (NYSE:TXT) company.
- Representation of an investment holding company in connection with the sale of its interest in Clearwire Corporation, a publicly held company, to Sprint Corporation for approximately $100 million. Mr. Friedman and the firm’s work included advice as to Clearwire's complex shareholders agreement and preparation of 13D filings with the SEC.
- Representation of an investment fund in connection with an internal investigation into the activities of a principal of the fund. Our firm advised the fund with respect to related corporate governance and fiduciary obligations and helped to implement a negotiated resolution of the matter.
- Representation of the Special Committee of the Board of Atlas Pipeline Partners, L.P. in connection with the evaluation and negotiation of Atlas’s approximately $400 million asset sale to Atlas Energy, L.P., the corporation that controlled the general partner of Atlas Pipeline. Mr. Friedman and the firm’s work included advice related to the fiduciary duties of the Committee and negotiation of principal transaction documentation with the purchaser.
- Representation of a senior financial industry executive hired to become co-CEO of a leading privately-held real estate firm.
- Representation of a prominent individual who is the controlling shareholder of a privately-held lifestyle company, in the negotiation of the company's first round of venture capital financing.
- Representation of a senior hedge fund manager in connection with his resignation from the fund, including advice with respect to his deferred compensation rights and compliance with his post-termination non-compete and other obligations.
Columbia Law School, J.D. (1976)
Yale College, B.A., magna cum laude (1973)
State of New York
The Honorable Pierre N. Leval, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Honors and Awards
New York Super Lawyers List, 2007-present