|John N. Orsini |
John N. Orsini represents clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in complex business and financial litigation, in federal and state court, and in domestic and international arbitrations and mediations. His matters involve diverse issues and claims, including claims arising out of the collapse of the market for residential mortgage-backed securities and related CDOs and credit default swaps, claims related to Bernard Madoff's fraud, claims for common-law and securities fraud, breaches of contract and fiduciary duty, and professional liability, and employment disputes. Mr. Orsini also has represented clients in investigations by the SEC and the New York Attorney General's office, and has conducted internal investigations.
Mr. Orsini's recent matters include representation of:
- BGC Partners and its affiliates in FINRA arbitrations against a competitor concerning the hiring of inter-dealer brokers, and a successful related federal appeal;
- One of the world's largest banks in matters concerning losses resulting from investments in residential mortgage-related collateralized debt obligations;
- A leading provider of computer software environments in litigation, arbitration, and mediation concerning acquired assets and customer contracts;
- A former senior executive at a major Wall Street investment bank in a FINRA arbitration regarding his compensation and severance;
- A group of funds of hedge funds in a federal court action against the managers of Madoff feeder funds and the funds' auditors; and
- Entities sponsored by private equity firms Bain Capital Partners, LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. in New York state-court litigation concerning the funding of the leveraged buyout of Clear Channel Communications, Inc., the nation's largest operator of radio stations and outdoor advertising displays.
Mr. Orsini graduated magna cum laude in 1998 from Harvard College with a A.B. in social studies. He received his J.D. degree cum laude in 2002 from Harvard Law School, where he served as Senior Editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review. After a year at FKSA, he served as a clerk to The Honorable Maryanne Trump Barry of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and he rejoined the firm in 2004. Mr. Orsini is the firm's litigation hiring partner.
Mr. Orsini has served on the Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction of the New York City Bar, and is a member of the New York State Bar Association.
Mr. Orsini has been selected to the 2013 New York Super Lawyers list. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made annually using the multiphase Super Lawyers selection process which includes, among other factors, peer evaluation.
Recent News Involving John N. Orsini