|John N. Orsini |
John N. Orsini represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex business and financial litigation in federal and state courts and domestic and international arbitrations. Mr. Orsini also provides pre-litigation counseling and risk assessment to clients seeking to navigate disputes to resolution before they erupt.
Mr. Orsini's cases have encompassed a range of litigation disputes and issues including:
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Consumer class actions
- Losses resulting from collapse of markets for RMBS, CDOs and credit default swaps
- Employment disputes
- FINRA arbitration
- Improper hiring/employee "raiding"
- Internal investigations
- Professional negligence
- Securities fraud class actions
- Unpaid compensation and severance
Although his matters involve diverse issues and claims, Mr. Orsini focuses on representations involving large financial services institutions and their senior executives, hedge funds, investment firms, investment managers, high net worth investors, and leading high-tech and online companies.
Financial Services Representations
- Defending a leading interdealer brokerage firm in FINRA arbitrations and state and federal court actions arising out of a hiring dispute with its competitor.
- Bringing securities fraud and negligence claims on behalf of hedge funds to recover $116 million in losses from Madoff feeder funds' management and their accountants.
- Representing, defending, and counseling large financial institutions, high net worth individual investors, and investment managers concerning losses resulting from the collapse of the markets for RMBS and CDOs and credit default swaps.
- Asserting claims in a FINRA arbitration on behalf of a former senior executive at one of the largest Wall Street investment banks to recover unpaid compensation and severance.
- Asserting claims on behalf of entities sponsored by private equity firms Bain Capital Partners and Thomas H. Lee Partners in litigation seeking specific performance of an agreement to finance the $18 billion LBO of Clear Channel Communications, Inc.
- Defending the retired president of one of the nation's largest bond insurance companies named as a defendant in a securities fraud class action.
- Representing and counseling a leading provider of enterprise database hosting environments in contract and employment disputes.
- Representing and counseling a leading independent brokerage firm and provider of electronic trade execution and settlement platforms in contract disputes.
- Defending one of the world's largest consumer electronics manufacturers in a nationwide consumer fraud class action.
- Defending a leading global internet retailer in contract disputes.
- Representing a leading national telecommunications provider in contract disputes.
Mr. Orsini has appeared on behalf of clients in federal courts in New York, New Jersey, California, Pennsylvania, and Kanas; in state courts in New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, Nebraska, and Tennessee; and in FINRA, AAA, and ICC arbitrations.
Mr. Orsini has also represented individuals and institutions being investigated by the SEC, the Department of Justice, and the New York Attorney General's office, and has conducted internal investigations. Mr. Orsini is also the firm's Litigation Hiring Partner.
- Harvard College, A.B. magna cum laude in Social Studies, 1998
- Harvard Law School, J.D. cum laude, Senior Editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, 2002
- The Honorable Maryanne Trump Barry of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2003-2004
Honors & Awards
- 2014 New York Super Lawyers. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made annually using the multiphase Super Lawyers selection process which includes, among other factors, peer evaluation. Mr. Orsini was also included on the New York Super Lawyers list in 2013.
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Federal Bar Council
- New York State Bar Association
Recent News Involving John N. Orsini